Friday 23 November 2012

Gala Time!

Our kids school gala is upon us this weekend. One of the stalls for my kids classes is the sweet stall (think fudges, truffles and coconut ice). So I have put my hand up to do a billion batches of coconut ice. I was given a recipe, that granted probably tastes better I am not sure (haven't had coconut ice in a LONG time myself), but was very time consuming and being a cooked recipe I couldn't guarantee it would turn out right! (I have limited success with fudges etc, but that was using my old stove which had some heat regulating issues I think! My new one should be better but I'm a little hesitant to use the members of public as guinea pigs so will save that for another day.

So yeah, as I was saying, I stumbled upon this recipe here which doesn't require cooking! I mean, it's SO quick and easy why WOULDN'T you volunteer to make it?

Well... it turned out quite well. Only hiccup was it was really hard to spread the pink layer on top of the white layer... by pushing it out, I ended up squashing the white layer really really flat, and the pink layer I couldn't manage to squish out to reach the edges! But never mind, I left it to set, and cut off all the excess around the edges (which I then scoffed more or less single handedly... I did share a teeny bit with the kids but it was just before their bedtime that I didn't want them to have tooooo much sugar...).

And it looked fine cut up. A bit flat, but that was my fault. Should have put it in a smaller tin, but I wasn't sure how much it would make (it didn't give any indication of what size tin! Silly recipe). I think double the recipe (make one batch white, then another batch pink) and put it in a standard sized slice tin, maybe a square cak tin, it would come out really good.




 
Coconut Ice - no cook easy version
Courtesy of www.food.com
 
 
150 ml (half a tin) sweetened condensed milk
250 g icing sugar, sieved
175 g desiccated coconut
2 -5 drops red food colouring or 2 -5 drops pink food colouring
 
Make this recipe twice, one with colouring and one without.
 
Line a slice/cake tin with greased gladwrap (cling film).
When making the pink batch, add the food colouring to the condensed milk in a bowl. Otherwise for the white batch do nothing extra to the condensed milk. Then mix in the icing sugar and coconut until it's fully mixed and stiff.
Press one mixture into the pan gently then top and press with the other mixture.
Leave to set then cut into cubes or fingers with an oiled knife.
To store: wrap or layer with waxed or greaseproof paper and store in an airtight container.




No comments:

Post a Comment