Tuesday 31 July 2012

Lemons!

My lemon tree has not been my friend this fruiting season. I believe it has ONE green lemon on it so far, and that's it. Last year it had a good fruiting season, and I have been told they tend to do every 2nd year (damnit). Never mind, I ended up getting a big bag of lemons when I was at a friend's house not long ago. Her tree is far from short of lemons! So jealous.

My favourite thing to do with lemons is make lemon curd! And this recipe is awesome. My friend Nicola gave it to me, the same friend who gave me her brownie recipe that features on here which I also used in the base to the peanut butter truffle brownies too. She has some yummy recipes that lady!

Anyways, back to lemons, and more importantly - the curd! I haven't ever tried to make this with margarine, only with butter. I have a gut feeling that it won't work without the butter, and I do not want a failure with my precious curd. However, if you try it with a dairy free spread, please do let me know if it turns out!




Lemon Curd

4 eggs
zest of 2 lemons, finely grated
125ml lemon juice, strained
150g caster sugar (I just use normal sugar, it's fine)
100g butter

Lightly beat the eggs and strain through a sieve (this step is important, stops the bitty egg white bits you can get otherwise)

Combine zest, juice, butter and sugar in a small heavy bottomed saucepan. Gently heat and stir until the sugar dissolves and butter melts.

Remove from heat and whisk in the egg. Place back over low heat, stirring constantly until the curd thickens.


You can then use the curd in baking, desserts or just as a spread. I jar mine, and have on toast or crumpets, and often make yummy muffins with lemon curd middles (I guess now I have mentioned that I better bake some and blog about them aye?)

No comments:

Post a Comment