Tuesday 17 April 2012

Din Dins Tonight

So this afternoon I was talking to some people on FB about dinners and stuff, and I sent them a link to my blog (hey, gotta get it out there aye haha!)... I told them tonight we are having crustless quiche for dinner as hubby has had to pop out to work so won't be home for dinner and the kids are guaranteed to eat it all. I tried to find the link to my quiche recipe only to realise I haven't yet blogged about it! Must remedy that straight away haha!

I have adapted this recipe to suit my family. The original recipe made a much smaller quiche, and had a higher flour to egg ratio. I prefer it more eggy, so my quiche reflects that.

Serve it up with a side of salad in summer, or steamed vegies in winter and have it for dinner as a yummy kid friendly cheap meal. Otherwise it makes a great lower calorie higher protein lunch - especially if you put chicken in the filling! Or I make mini ones in muffin tins and mini muffin tins for the kids birthdays - they are always popular... oh if you do that, they work best in the silicone moulds than the tin ones in my experience.



Anyways, here is my basic recipe:

Crustless Quiche,
makes a large family sized quiche


8 eggs
3/4 c self raising flour (or plain flour with 3/4tsp baking powder, as I do)
2 1/4 cup milk (I use zero lacto milk to make it lactose free... I have previously made it with about 1 cup rice milk and the rest water, turns out great that way too. I don't like full rice milk as it's too sweet)
1 onion, chopped
a few rashers of bacon, chopped (I use the really cheap rolled stuff from the supermarket, more ham in texture than bacon lol, but works so well in cooking dishes, oh, and it's cheap! This last lot I got from Pak n Save for $4/kilo!)
1 cup cheese, grated (I omit)

Other extras I sometimes add:

Chopped up silverbeet or spinach (do this most times!)
Sliced tomatoes on the top (usually do this one, had run out of tomatoes tonight though)
Instead of bacon throw in leftover chicken bits
You can throw it whatever vegies you want really. Leftover roast vegies in with leftover roast chicken is yummy!

Preheat oven to 180*c
Sauté up your bacon and onion.
Whisk the egg, flour and milk together, doesn't matter if it's a lil lumpy.
Throw all your fillings (except tomato) in the egg mix
Tip mixture into a baking dish
If using tomato, slice them up and lay on top of mixture
Bake in oven for approx 45mins or until cooked through

Enjoy!

4 comments: